ASHT Program Code of Conduct
Program Code of Conduct
All ASHT events aim to be inclusive of the largest number of contributors, with the most varied and diverse backgrounds possible. As such, ASHT is committed to providing a professional, collegial, safe, supportive, and respectful meeting environment (virtual and face-to-face), regardless of a person’s race, color, ethnicity, national origin, citizenship status, age, religion, disability status, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, genetic information, physical appearance, or other characteristics (“personal characteristics”). ASHT expects individuals to uphold the professional and educational purposes of ASHT and its events by respecting the rights, privacy, safety, and dignity of all persons. ASHT expects individuals to exercise professionalism, consideration, and respect in their speech and actions. ASHT expects individuals to refrain from harassing speech and other harassing behavior.
Scope and Application
The Program Code of Conduct, and this Policy, apply to any virtual gathering or face-to-face event that is hosted or sponsored by ASHT, including but not limited to virtual educational symposia, exhibits, committee meetings, written comment and discussion groups, professional gatherings, and platforms and setting ancillary thereto (each an “ASHT Event”). This Policy applies to any and all participants in ASHT Events, including but not limited to employees, members, volunteers, guests, vendors, contractors, exhibitors, faculty, and other attendees (each a “Participant”).
Unacceptable behavior is defined as:
- Unwelcome and uninvited attention or contact with another Participant;
- Verbal or written comments, or visual images, that are sexually suggestive, or that denigrate or show hostility or aversion toward an individual, or group of individuals, or that create an intimidating, hostile, or offensive environment, or that unreasonably interfere with an individual’s ability to participate in the ASHT Event;
- Unwelcome sexual advances, requests for sexual favors, or other unwelcomed physical, verbal, visual, or other conduct of a sexual nature;
- Inappropriate, unnecessary, or irrelevant use of nudity and/or sexual images;
- Intimidating, harassing, abusive, defamatory, profane, discriminatory, derogatory or demeaning speech;
- Harmful or prejudicial verbal or written comments or visual images related to personal characteristics;
- Deliberate intimidation or stalking;
- Harassing photography or recording;
- Sustained or repeated disruption of talks or other events;
- Express or implied threat of physical or professional harm;
- Actual or threatened personal or professional retaliation for a rejection or report of unacceptable behavior;
- Failing to stop unacceptable behavior when requested by a Participant or ASHT.
Reporting Unacceptable Behavior
Any participant whose safety is threatened or violated is urged to contact local law enforcement immediately.
In addition, any Participant who feels unsafe or experiences unwelcome conduct, who observes or experiences unacceptable behavior, or who believes there has been a violation of this Policy, is encouraged to send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com, or call (856) 380-6856 so that ASHT can take the appropriate action.
Consequences of Reported Unacceptable Behavior
Upon receiving a report of unacceptable behavior, ASHT’s first priority will be the safety and security of Participants. In order to preserve a safe, educational environment, ASHT reserves the right to remove a Participant from an ASHT Event, suspend or terminate specific features available to a Participant or to suspend or terminate the Participant’s entire account. In addition, ASHT reserves the right to prohibit Participant attendance at any future ASHT Event.
Violation of this Policy, as determined by ASHT in its sole discretion, is grounds for any action that ASHT deems appropriate, including but not limited to warning the offender, denying the offender access to an ASHT Event (including revoking or denying registration to an ASHT Event), suspending or terminating the offender’s access to the ASHT Event, and barring the offender from other ASHT Events. ASHT reserves the right to take whatever action it, in its sole discretion, deems appropriate, with respect to the investigation of any matters related to this Policy.
Any person who is denied access to or whose access is terminated during an ASHT Event based on this Policy may request that ASHT review the matter after the ASHT Event has concluded. However, ASHT’s action will be effective immediately and will continue until and unless ASHT issues a contrary decision. Unless a contrary decision is issued, any person who is denied access to or removed from an ASHT Event based on this Policy will not be eligible for a refund of any registration fees paid for access to or participation in the ASHT Event.
By registering for an ASHT program (virtual or face-to-face), you acknowledge your registration is subject to ASHT’s Program Code of Conduct Policy.