Plenary Session 1: Opening Session
Opening Ceremonies: Leaders and Legends
With 2020 planned to have been an Olympic year and our ASHT President, Mojca “Mo” Herman, being a former Olympian, the meeting will kick off with leadership driven interviews with several professional athletes known to be leaders in their respective sports. Mo will be joined by two time Olympian and current sportscaster Kevin Barnett, who will discuss the interviews in greater depth. The prestigious panel will provide leadership perspectives, discuss their personal rehab journeys and offer advice for rehabilitating athletes. The goals of this session are for the audience to have insight from an athlete's perspective, furthermore, be inspired to learn from leaders in a field other than their own.
- Discuss characteristics of leadership as described by individual athlete leaders.
- Describe leadership similarities between the upper extremity specialist and professional athletes.
- Identify two important factors to consider when rehabilitating athletes.
Timeless Tendon Takeaways
This panel will share timeless lessons, as well as new research in the areas of flexor and extensor tendon injuries. The extensor tendon discussion will focus on zone III extensor tendon injury and the use of relative motion flexion (RMF) orthoses to manage postsurgical and acute/chronic injuries.
- Overview of the current research on flexor tendon injuries and best practice for rehabilitation of these injuries.
- Review the biomechanics which support use of relative motion flexion orthoses with zone III extensor tendon injury.
- Familiarity with guidelines for use of RMF after zone III Extensor Tendon injury and surgical intervention.